textile designer. she combined hints of the orient with europe’s
1930s-style modernism. her patterns, with shiny surface and
sophisticated, very vibrant motifs are extremely elegant.
She fused english floral patterns with splashes and swirls,
bamboo and willow, kangaroos and peacocks...
the subject of growing international interest.
a carefully restored archive (by david and helen lennie,
You can see her designs everywhere,
from fashion designers marc jacob’s clothing to
stella mc cartney’s collections and Akira Isogawas creations.
was born in 1899 in australia.
as a singer, at age of 17 she changed her name to
‘miss bobbie broadhurst’ and toured with opera singer
dame nellie melba and ballet dancer robert helpmann.
followed by a dancing troupe called ‘the smart set diggers’
and then ‘the globe trotters’. by the early ‘20s, she was
performing in south-east asia, india, and china.
‘broadhurst academy’ in shanghai.
Seven years later, in 1933, her life changed when she
moved to london. she got married and acquired a
dress shop on bond street.
her name changed again, into ’madame pellier’
(it was also the name of the shop).
Florence broadhurst stayed in england until 1949, when she
moved with her (then second) husband back to australia.
still untrained as an artist, she began to paint landscapes
and portraits (whilst raising her son, robert).
company for which she became famous :
australian (handprinted) wallpapers, later known as
‘florence broadhurst wallpapers’.
She sourced special papers from america and norway,
and had cedarwood frames, made in switzerland.
Florence used vivid colours, printed onto metallic textures,
made her paper stain-resistant and longer lasting.
From 1966, florence and her staff (in her roylston st
studio in paddington) produced over 800 designs and
6000 printed samples.
Florence designed herself in a sequence of
metamorphoses that were so successful, she seemed to eliminate
all traces of her former lives and in her artistic evolution it is
difficult to separate fact from fiction:
the beauty of her designs,
the horror of her death and
the secrecy of her life.
Broadhurst worked until she died dramatically, and mysteriously
in 1977 - bashed to death...her murder remains unsolved, but speculation is that she was a victim of serial killer John Wayne Glover. The truth went with Glover after he ended his own life in prison. It is believed that Glover was known to Broadhurst and that they shared a cup of tea together at her home on the day of the killing.
GUARDING THE GOODS!
Ingredients (serves 6)
- 6 (about 120g each) skinless salmon fillets, pin-boned
- 3 tbs (1/4 cup) plain flour, plus 2 tsp extra for sauce
- 1 tbs sweet paprika
- 1 tbs dried thyme
- 2 tbs extra virgin olive oil
- 2 cups grape tomatoes, halved
- 1/2 tsp cayenne pepper
- 150ml dry white wine
- 1 cup (250ml) thick cream
- 250g fresh crabmeat
- 2 tbs basil leaves, finely sliced, plus extra leaves to garnish
- To make the roulades, cut each fillet through the centre horizontally, nearly cutting through to the end, but stopping short so you have one long strip of fish.
- Starting at one end, roll each fillet into a neat round, then secure with a toothpick.
- Wrap each one tightly in plastic wrap and chill for at least 1 hour to firm up.
- Preheat oven to 160°C.
- Combine the flour, paprika, thyme, 1 tablespoon ground black pepper and 1 teaspoon salt in a bowl. Dip both flat sides of the roulades in the mixture. Heat half the oil in a non-stick frypan over high heat and when hot, sear the salmon on one fl at side for about 1 minute or until a crust forms. Turn and repeat on the other fl at side, then place on a tray in the oven for 5 minutes until just cooked.
- Meanwhile, wipe frypan clean, heat remaining oil and add tomatoes. Cook over medium-low heat, stirring, for 2-3 minutes until tomatoes start to soften, then stir the 2 teaspoons of extra flour and the cayenne into tomato juices. Add wine, cook for 1 minute, then add cream and cook, stirring, for 5 minutes or until thickened. Stir in the crab to warm through, add sliced basil, then season.
- Place a little of the sauce on each plate, top with a salmon roulade and drizzle with extra crab sauce. Garnish with fresh basil leaves (and mustard cress, if desired). Serve with boiled chat potatoes tossed in butter and a green salad.
A delicious Recipe for Tequila Slammer, with tequila, salt and lemons. Also lists similar drink Recipes.
Lick the back of your hand, put salt on the (now) sticky back of your hand, lick the salt, down a large dose of straight tequila and then bite into the lemon.