HOLLYWOOD STARLET MEG RYAN AND HER HOME
Welcome to the Blog for this week. Here at Style in The City we like to keep you abreast of our weekly movements, and also hopefully inspiration. We do like to pass on whatever inspires us, and this week, we fell in love with the home of actress Meg Ryan. Hollywoods on/off darling has exquisite taste in colour and design and we really love the clean lines and balance of materials used in her home...lets face it, theres nothing worse than seeing too 'much' of one material, for example wood (it takes on a 'Little House on The Prairie' look and can get a bit overpowering).
Tell us what you think of these beautiful rooms in Megs home...
BRIAN THE MEDIA STAR POOCH!
For those of you who arent up on the story of Brian, he is our resident pooch here at Charcoal Interiors.
Brian was a Pet Rescue Dog, who had been found roaming the streets of Logan forlorn and emaciated. As fate would have it, Cath saw a picture of him on the Pet Rescue website and fell in love with his beautiful face. She met him at the Gatton UQ where he was being rehabilitated and the rest as they say, is history. It feels good to give a beautiful animal another chance in life...fact is that if Cath hadn't adopted him, he had a very real chance of being euthenaised (we always cover his ears when we mention that bit).
We welcome you to read this great article on Brian and his new life with owner Cath. Be sure to come and visit him in the showroom one day soon...and prepare yourself to be welcomed with open paws.
SALE...ON NOW AT CHARCOAL!
Looking for that perfect piece for your home, but dont want to skimp on quality?? Sick of flat-pack furniture same-same styles and reproductions with no soul??
Then look no further than Charcoal Interiors and our BIG sale! On Now!
LOOKS WE LOVE......
We seem to have a bit of a fixation with Fireplaces at the moment...probably because its just so darned cold! But this is a room where you immediately feel a sense of comfort, without forgoing style.
CHOCOLATE LAVA CAKES
Give in to charming choc concoctions with this week's food fight winner -- chocolate lava cakes! They are super quick and super easy. Masterchef eat your heart out....you are going to impress all the home judges with this one!
- 180g dark chocolate, chopped
- 250g butter, chopped
- plain flour, for dusting
- 4 eggs
- 1/2 cup caster sugar
- 1/4 cup plain flour, sifted
- Double cream and cocoa powder, to serve
- Place chocolate and butter in a microwave-safe bowl. Microwave on medium-high (75%) for 1 to 2 minutes, stirring with a metal spoon every 30 seconds, or until melted and combined. Cool completely.
- Grease eight 175ml-capacity ceramic ovenproof dishes. Sprinkle with flour. Using an electric mixer, beat eggs and sugar for 8 to 10 minutes or until thick and creamy. Fold in chocolate mixture, then flour. Spoon mixture into prepared dishes. Freeze for 1 hour.
- Preheat oven to 200°C/180°C fan-forced. Place dishes on a baking tray. Bake for 16 minutes or until just set (cakes will wobble when touched).
- Stand dishes for 1 minute. Turn onto plates. Top with cream. Dust with cocoa powder. Serve.
OH HAPPY DAY.....ITS COCKTAIL FRIDAY!
For all of us here in Brisbane down...its been a cold, cold week. We bought more scarves, heaters and I double layered with my socks under the boots....so yeah...its cold! And ok, ok...if you live in Canberra, Victoria, South Australia or Tassie....you win. It's just that we Brisbanites are used to it being reasonably warmish this time of year...and we have had a lot to deal with of late in respect to mother nature, so we get to have a whinge...its our turn...oh, and lets not mention the footy game on Wednesday night...no really...lets not mention it!So, with a week of sporting losses and the cold to contend with, I couldnt exactly see myself sitting down to a Daiquiri. It would have to be something warming and soothing. What better concoction than the ever reliable Mulled Wine! I know on my visits down to SA, one of my favourite things to do is curl up in one of the old leather chairs at the local pub in front of the fireplace with a glass of mulled wine.
Spice things up on a chilly night with this European-style drink.
Ingredients (serves 4)
- 10 cloves
- 2 cinnamon sticks
- 1/4 cup caster sugar
- 1 roughly grated nutmeg
- 2 cups water
- roughly grated rind of 1 orange
- 1 roughly chopped apple (skin on)
- 750ml light, fruity red wine (such as a merlot)
- Heat cloves, cinnamon, sugar, nutmeg, water, orange rind and apple in a large saucepan over medium heat. Bring to the boil, then reduce heat to low and simmer for 10 minutes.
- Add red wine and simmer for another 5 minutes. Remove from heat. Strain and divide among serving glasses. Serve immediately.
Wishing everyone a very happy weekend. Theres some great movies out at the moment. Cath saw Oranges and Sunshine the other night...very moving true story, and Australian...she says its worth a look. Be sure to come and say hi on Saturday if youre in the area....dont forget we are now closed on Sundays. With love....The Charcoal Girls...Colette, Cathie and Jen xxx
Until next week...
The Charcoal Team...Cathie, Colette and Jen