HAVE YOU TOUCHED AN APPLE PRODUCT TODAY?
It was with sadness that we learned of the passing of Steve Jobs yesterday. I dont think I have ever seen so many tributes come through facebook over the past 48 hours.
I like to think that Steve was the 'Edison' of our time. Without him there would be no Ipod, no Apple Mac and can you imagine a world without Toy Story? I dont mean to sound like I am glossing over his achievements, but the fact is that it would take me the whole day and more to cover all of his great inventions and accomplishments. Steve was true visionary and promoted living your life out of the box...taking risks and being a misfit.
So, stop for a moment and think about how this man who we never met has affected your life, in some small way. As someone very wisely put it today: 'The death of Steve Jobs, a great visionary, reminds us that health is the only wealth that really counts'....RIP Steve Jobs.
WHAT'S BEEN HAPPENING?....LOTS!
The girls have been super busy this week, with a mass exodus of some of our favourite pieces, all gone to a good home. But then what to do with the space...?...fill it of course!
And, we now have a new design space area. Its an area where clients can sit down with a cuppa and peruse our extensive range of fabrics, wall coverings and more whilst making their vision a reality via the design team.
It's always very satisfying to have a happy client, and we strive to excel in all we do, including great customer service...our business depends on it!
And so, its such a thrill when we receive a bit of public recognition from a happy client.
Thank you so much to Deb, Steve and their gorgeous girls for taking the time to not only send in a photo of their installed 'Bella' chandelier purchase from Charcoal Interiors, but also for posting it on our Facebook page! We really appreciated it!
WHAT'S ON DOWN OUR WAY THIS WEEKEND?
THE VALLEY FIESTA!
Brisbane’s biggest street party, Valley Fiesta brings the celebration to the inner-city with a two-day street party on October 7 & 8.
So, if you like street parties that are long, straight and LOUD, then this is the party for you.
Get your groove on this weekend at the Valley Fiesta with a lineup that will have your ears bleeding!...but in a good way...
Join in on Brunswick St tonight and tomorrow. Get on down, enjoy the Valley and all it has to offer....great food, music, fashion and be sure to take a small diversion down Doggett St to Charcoal Interiors for a break, a browse and some delicious inspiration!
FRESH ROCKET PESTO
(Make your own at home...its so easy...truly..it is!)
This week we got stuck into our big herb pot out in the courtyard of the showroom. I took out all the old woody basil and cut back the parsley that was completely taking over!
We now have Rocket, Mint, Land Cress (something new...cant wait to try it in salads), Red Spinach, Traditional Greek Basil, Rosemary and Firecracker Chilis!
Thanks to the Rocket I have been nursing along at home, we now have heaps! The warmer weather is great for Rocket, and it stands by its name...once it takes root it goes off like a Rocket!...we end up with so much every year and it seems such a shame to let it go to waste, so once its used in salads and on sandwiches I make a big batch of Rocket Pesto up.
Heres my favourite recipe, but you can replace the macadamias for Cashews or Pine Nuts.
When I first started making this pesto into batches I wondered how long it would keep its colour. The good news is that the colour kept green and vibrant for ages in fact it didnt go brown at all, so its hard to say how long it will keep nice and pretty looking in the jar.
This pesto is great as a dip, spread on toast on its own with a bit of lemon squeezed on top and cracked pepper, perfect on fish or chicken, absolutely delicious on sandwiches, as a base sauce for pizza, tossed through pasta and much more.
Enjoy and let me know what you think of this fabulous recipe!
- 2 bunches rocket, ends trimmed, coarsely chopped
- 1 cup fresh basil leaves
- 80g (1/2 cup) macadamia nuts
- 2 garlic cloves, coarsely chopped
- 185ml (3/4 cup) olive oil
- 60g (3/4 cup) finely grated parmesan
- 1 tbs fresh lemon juice
- Process the rocket, basil, macadamias and garlic in the bowl of a food processor until finely chopped. With the motor running, gradually add the oil in a thin, steady stream until well combined.
- Transfer to a bowl. Stir in the parmesan and lemon juice. Taste and season with salt and pepper.
- Serving tips: Toss the pesto through pasta with chicken and chopped fresh chilli; spread on pizza bases or sandwiches; or serve on grilled meats.__________________________________________________
SPRING ROSE COCKTAIL
This cocktail recipe is taken from The Wine Garden in Sydney. Its the perfect cocktail for that girlie morning tea, or High Tea at home. Please be sure to use unsprayed roses (just ask your florist for the organic version). Purchase fresh and colourful blooms for maximum results!
- Bunch of mint, leaves picked
- Petals of 3 unsprayed roses, plus 6 small unsprayed roses to garnish
- 3 shots (90ml) gin
- 1/4 cup (60ml) lemon juice
- Ice cubes, to serve
- 750ml bottle sparkling white wine, chilled
- 150g caster sugar
- 1 tbs rosewater
- Chill 6 tall glasses in the fridge.
- For the syrup, place sugar and 100ml water in a pan over medium-high heat. Bring to the boil, stirring to dissolve sugar, then remove from heat. Stir in rosewater, then chill until it has cooled completely.
- Bruise the mint leaves and rose petals in your hands to release their aroma, then stuff them into the chilled glasses....mmmmmm...lovely...
- In 2 batches, combine gin, lemon juice, rose syrup and plenty of ice in a cocktail shaker. Shake well, then pour into the glasses and top up with sparkling wine. Tuck in a rose to garnish, then serve immediately with a straw.
Throw caution to the wind and have a few of these with the girls....Hats on...feet up...drink in hand...laughs a-plenty....perfect!
Quote of the week from our Facebook Follower Katie Purcell:
'If you see the soul in every living being, you truly see'.....
Wishing everyone a wonderful weekend. We hope you enjoyed reading the blog as much as we loved putting it together for you....makes us realise that we actually did quite a bit these week!...Phew!Thank you for being part of it all...The Charcoal Teamxxx